Monday 24 November 2008

connecting

Saturday 26th July
In the haram of Imam Reza (as), at zohr.


This time, I had been able to enter the haram as I wished, to get pulled into the melee and drunk on the same crazed spirit that makes normal, civillised people behave like lunatics to get to and cling to the zarih. Other times, this choice had been made for me. You would think that I would have learnt the lesson better by this stage.

On the first day, with great anticipation, hope and desire to perform ziara on behalf of all, I had entered the throng, and basked in the Imam's proximity. The second day, I had not prepared myself sufficiently, and all of a sudden found myself at the haram door with my thoughts scattering. Reading the permission to enter proved it; even after the small rise of emotion on asking the imam (as) as the son of Fatimatul Zahra, by the right of Fatimatul Zahra (as), it was very evident the invitation was a grace from the imam and I had limited my own experience and connection.


This was the third time we were to enter the haram.

I was intent upon not repeating the mistake of the second time, in an attempt to recapture a little of the spirit of the first. I made my way towards the soaring golden arch, with the white-hot morning sun resplendent, high above it. Just before entering a spot caught my eye – an area to sit within the row of worshipers, on the right hand side, a short distance from the door. The feeling came to me that I should sit in it, but I couldn't reconcile this with not yet having done ziarah. I pushed it aside and entered the door, into the mad crowds. I found spaces and pauses in the crushing in which to read my ziarah, but neither relaxed, nor truly comfortably, nor personally. Throughout I couldn't shake the feeling that I should be outside. Eventually this feeling overcame me, and I moved outside after the core ziarah, to read the final salutations.


My place was still empty, waiting for me, welcoming me. I sat in it and completed the ziarah and prayer more peacefully and calmly. By this time it was almost noon, with the beaming, burning sun hanging high above our heads, as I sat amongst the pilgrims in the shade of the golden archway, at its edge: in the cool breezed shade, inches away from the cloven half of sunlight.

Looking up at the sun in its zenith, glinting off the soaring gold, I had a vision; of the insanity of crowds, crushing each other in the race towards the grave, clamouring to have their many requests heard and granted, thinking of the fulfilment of their own needs, then to go home and think of little more; as an outsider to it – for a second seeing the difference in behaviour for the real servant of the Imam (as), one who was truly there to do as commanded and await his call, who would pull away from the crush to reach the physical grave, and hang back for just that, not breathing a word for his own sake: knowing that the Imam (as) saw him where he stood, knew his state fully, knew he was ready to serve, and if needed, knew he would call for him.

All these people had come for the Imam (as), mistaking his grave for his presence... all these mad crowds directed one way; between them those with vision would pull aside and wait, distant from the drunken madness and seeing it for what it was; behaving like a human being and faithful servant; patiently, politely, waiting for contact and a command from the Imam (as).

I saw the difference between serving yourself in the Imam's presence and serving him, and realised to truly be his follower you could not follow the crowd and ask only for your own desires, but instead must always be thinking,

“How can I serve my Imam?”

“What can I do to serve you, O Imam?”

“I am ready, and waiting for your command.”


* * *


On Sunday, for the first time ever, I chose not to enter the haram building, although I could, and performed ziara outside; again in the shade of the golden arch, and the glorious presence of the Imam (as).





* * *

July 2008

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear blissful;

beautifully scribed... May your ziyarah be accepted by Allah.

You know blissful, this summer the entrance to the zarih was always packed with many of the 'drunken' souls who perhaps reached out from various locales from around the world.
I would sometimes stand by the main golden gate helplessly praying a small opening would be drawn and that I could 'flow' along with the lovers to reach the corner of the zarih.
But with great regret, during my five days stay at mashad not a single day or night could I bring this hope to realm. Sometimes I would leave the hotel at 3:00 am in the morning hoping to find 'that space I longed for'..
But alhamdulillah, I enjoyed attending the five daily prayers in the main courtyard where on both sides the golden minarets stood.
if only i could go again...

thank u for taking me back to those beautiful memories. :)

blizs/ful said...

bismillah... and like the suns rays breaking through cloud, she appears! it has been too long waiting for this daybreak, but, as always, it makes all the difference to know you are still around. How have you been?

The haram of Imam Reza (as) is a piece of paradise here on earth, but no, you won't find a time the zarih is empty. I think I should tell you a story. A long time ago, when my aunt was young and her three daughters were infants, she performed her first ziarah to the Imam (as). In Iraq she was used to holding the zarih to perform ziarah, but here, carrying one child in her arms with the other two by her side, it was impossible. She apologised to the Imam (as) and said, I'm going to have to do my ziarah from here, I don't know if you'll accept it or not, but its all I can manage,, then she performed the ziarah and went home.

That night she saw a dream in which she was at the haram, which was empty apart from a handful of people wondering about. She went right up to the zarih, and got to look inside. When she woke, she asked about the dream's meaning. Out of all of the visitors of the Imam (as), the few she had seen wondering about the haram were the only ones whos ziarat were accepted; and amongst them were her and her daughters.

the moral of both stories is, connection is independent of proximity, and that holds in full generality. The ziarah from your bedroom could be the same as that performed at the haram gates, if it were not for the difference in our own attitude in each place.

with salam.
~~

Anonymous said...

Salam,

Praise be to Allah, who blessed us to be among -those who cling and hold to the "Wilayaat" (love, friendship and authority) of Ameer Al Momineen and all the Imams, peace be on them all.

Blessed Eid Al Ghadir...

Its so nice to know that you're still an active blogger, and keep 'connecting' to such beautiful moments.
Reading through your journal, I feel its more of a precious encoded album..where the words shape out the image, and mind perceives it based on its degree of perception.
Alhamdulillah, I'm doing well. And hows life with you? Its been a while... but fortunately for me, I managed to trace back to this site via a link from some other blog. Your writings have always been so uniqely laden with a highly sophisticated phenomenon of expression, and yet a touch of home. Its all so perfectly blended, that reading becomes joy, and the joy an empowerment.
----

And many thanks for sharing the story.. you know, these real life happenings function as a healing balm. Your aunt was indeed blessed..

Travelling to Mashad was like a dream for me. I cant believe it happened, and that if it did,.. alas that it ended so soon.
Now all I have with me as souvenirs are those moments when I close my eyes, and return back to those tearfilled last glances at the zarih...
.. If this was Mashad, I dont know how emotions would escape the heart upon sighting baqi...

salam.

blizs/ful said...

and congratulations to you and all believers on the completion of religion, on eidul ghadeer. May Allah open hearts to it's meaning until followers of the AB (as) cover the entire earth.

Your sentiments about these pages mirror my own about your writings, which were around long before. How I wish I could read such pieces again! I do however know the value of a degree of privacy, and that it is difficult, if possible at all, when sharing experiences and ideas which touch the core of your being. and Allah is most merciful, most kind.


what can be said of Baqi, which the sun rises over and sets bathing in colours of another world, now a walled and guarded fortress... swarming with multitudes of serpent tongued Shimr, who live to block the path of broken-hearted pilgrims and kick dust upon those patches of paradise as they walk past.

who can bear such a sight?


with salam.