Thursday 6 March 2008

"Those who know me, know me

and those of you who don't know me, then I will tell you who I am ..."


There you have it. The best introduction in all recorded history. If all the literary geniuses in the world were to converge upon writing a single opening sentence for a character, their combined efforts over decades could not surpass this one - more perfect still, these words were first delivered in spontaneous speech.

These have to be some of the most powerful opening lines ever uttered. Immediately they command the situation, silencing the audience and preparing in them an air of attention and awe towards the speaker. So rarely have so few words been expertly combined as these, to convey such impact and influence upon the audience.

Tomes upon tomes can be written about the excellence of this line.


Now picture these words coming from a young man; shackled around the neck, wrists and hands; bleeding, scratched, cut, his torn clothes and body covered in dust and weathered through weeks and weeks of hard travel in the unforgiving desert heat; exhausted through physical weakness and the weight of his emotional ordeal, etched in the tear-tracks through the dirt on his face. Behind him stand a small party of shackled women and children, in much the same pitiable state; not a one without the veil torn from her head, the clothes torn from her back; cowering from the gazes of their captors and spectators who have come to make sport of their sorrow. Before them on spears are paraded the heads of their beloved brothers, fathers, friends and even children, all of whom had been mercilessly slain.

Picture these words as they were delivered... to be the only shield to protect the oppressed captives from their captors and tormentors. Picture the anticipation and hope against hope amongst the small, weary band, knowing the weight of these words carried not only their own fate, but the fate of the entire future of Islam.


These words were delivered to so-called muslims:
the aggressors, the captors


from the captured -- the son of Hussein (as),
grandson of Lady Zahra and Imam Ali (as),
great-grandson of their very own Prophet (saw).

Ali ibn al Hussein (as) made his stand.

And by Allah, he let them know who he was.



"... I am the son of Mecca and Mina. I am the son of Zamzam and Safa. I am the son of he who gave Zakat to the poor. I am the son of the best of those who have ever put on Ihram and performed ceremonies of Hajj. I am the son of he who was taken on the night journey from house of Allah to the Mosque of Aqsa and then to Miraj. I am the son of he who was taken around by Gibrael to the Lote-tree of the boundary (Sidratul Muntaha).

"I am the son of Muhammad Mustafa (S.A.WW).
I am the son of Ali Al-Murtaza who fought the polytheists in the battle till they submitted to Islam and fought in the presence of the Prophet until his sword was broken and to whom Zulfikar was given. I am the son of he who had the honour to migrate twice in Islam. I am the son of Fatima the best women of the world..."



* * *

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice discription of Imam Zayn-ul-Abideen's speech! Thank you very much.

blizs/ful said...

^ thanks for your visit & comment. stop by again some time :)

Anonymous said...

salam bliss its peace - did imam (as) say the earlier words of those who know me know me..?

blizs/ful said...

^salam!

yes I believe it was the first thing he said, to introduce this speech. hence the post ;)